Saturday, May 9, 2009

The Newly Minted Mrs. Rooney

Once again, I feel motivated to start a blog, because it seems like the best way to put my tendency to think in the third-person to use. Hopefully, it will also sate my family's needs to keep up with me while we try to schedule phone calls between PCT and EST, a time change that has been a hard adjustment, but I must admit there is something VERY satisfying about starting your day at 7:30 on a Saturday. I just need to try to stay up past 8pm--or maybe not.

Now for those of you playing at home, you probably realize that today, Brendan and I celebrated our 1 week anniversary of marriage. I have no wisdom to depart on you, yet, but I can say that being married has already been the most satisfying and exhausting experience of my life. Of course, that is probably not so much the marriage as it was the wedding, the honeymoon, and the cross-country move, but I digress. Yes, Brendan and I have embarked on quite the whirlwind since saying, "I do", and ordinarily, I would find this all very stressful, but there is something singular and unique about being accompanied by the love of your life when enduring physical struggles that makes it all worth it. Hopefully, this is not just the novelty of marriage, but our enduring love that has made our trip so rewarding (please try to refrain from gagging--it only gets more sappy as you go along). At any rate, instead of trying to describe it, I am going to try and re-cap the events from memory.

One week ago, Brendan and I got married at Stetson Chapel at Kalamazoo College in front of 100 of the people we love the most in life. After months of planning, worrying, and of course obsessively compulsing, we were standing there, hand-in-hand smiling like fools. I just kept thinking "I can't believe we pulled this whole thing off," and of course scolding myself (as I often do) for worrying so much about inane details. In the end, our plan to "under do it" as far as decorations and complications go, proved perfect. We enjoyed a day full beauty and happiness with plenty of apple blossoms, architecture, food, music, people we loved, and the three most adorable well-behaved children in the history of matrimony. Yes, those of us who warned that having a 2 year old flower girl, and a couple of seven year-olds as ring/bearers/flower girls. Were speechless when the kids sauntered the aisle like pro's. Especially when said 7 year-old ring bearer (and my cousin) Ian belted out the sweetest, most heartfelt adaptation of "Everyday" by Buddy Holly-ever heard. I was even more wildly impressed when I heard that he re-wrote the final chords himself. Best of all, he performed without a microphone. Such a charmer! I am not sad to say that he stole the show, and rightfully so. Soon, for those of you who wish to see the event, but could not attend, or just want to relive the fabulous memories, I will be posting pictures online. Sorry for the delay, but as you will read, I am too busy being exhausted and re-playing the events in my mind.

So, after an incredibly satisfying day, that could not have been pulled-off without the help of our extremely supportive bridal (and groomal(?)) party--we retired to our honeymoon suite at the Radisson, where you would be correct in assuming we did not get much sleep. The newly minted Mr. and Mrs. Rooney met my parents and brother for breakfast at the Sol World Cafe, where I declared my honeymoon my week to gorge. I figured since I had been denying myself the luxury of good food before the wedding, I would make-up for it afterwards. Okay, truth be told, I did not do much denying. I was not one of those girls that buys their dress a size or two too small with the plan of doing turbo jam and shots of wheat grass for two months preceding the big day. Instead I started working out with my PT about 8 hours a week, treading water, and increasing my peanut butter intake. I also developed a love for baking, and eating said baked goods, once again, I digress as this is not essential information. But then again, is anything in a social blog really essential?--Now how do I get this off italics? Like most people warned, Brendan and I really didn't get a chance to eat much the at the reception. We were constricted by our clothing and trying to be welcoming hosts for 100 guests, while sitting on display and kissing each time we were prompted by the sound of sterling against crystal. (Sorry, but italics will randomly appear from here out since I seemingly have no control over it). What was most depressing, was that I did not even get a taste of the pistachio cake I chose! I know--it's horrible. The crepes went a long way in making up for it though.

After our misty goodbyes, we hit the road but we didn't make it very far without realizing my mother had the entire contents of my wallet and we had to turn back. Practicing the patience of Job (the patience one can only maintain during the first few, most sacred, hours of marriage) Brendan and I returned to Kzoo to meet my parents before continuing North up 131 to Traverse City where we stayed at The Wellington Inn Although we regretted the planning that had us driving 4 hours the day after our wedding, the Inn did not disappoint. We were the only guests staying at the Mansion that night (another family was in one of the cottage houses) so we were upgraded from the cheapest/most lackluster room in the home to the honeymoon suite. Much to my delight it included a jetted whirlpool--the perfect solution to a post wedding backache. What I loved most about the home was that it was filled with original antiques from the 1800's. Since we were the only people staying we also had the joy of perusing what seamed like endless rooms, each brimming with tchotchkis and ornate furniture from the late 1800s. Though Brendan was admittedly "antiqued out", I could have easily stayed for a few more days--spending time in each room.

Because Bed and Breakfasts, by definition, only serve breakfasts, that night we ventured to Traverse City's historic downtown area were we enjoyed dinner at Bubba's where I offset my sins by ordering a large salad (who am I kidding? With all the nuts, avocado, dressing, and cheese, I packed in more calories than a whopper value meal!). Then we slowly wandered back to the Inn where we had the option of munching on generic treats like bite-sized "100 Grand Bars" and Costco Cappuccino. No, the food did not delight, especially when compared to our next night's stay in Saugatuck (heretofore referred to as Snugatuck). In fact, we were so primed for these Legendary breakfasts, we did not recognize them when they were served to us. Then we quickly realized that the breakfasts were, in fact, legend because almost no one had eaten them. Since they are only served to guests at the Inn, which are few in this current economic climate. Most of what is known locally about the food, is from word of mouth. Falsehoods were apparently spread by overly generous visitors and the proprietor herself, who was pleased as punch by her generally sour but otherwise tasteless blueberry pancakes and tough chicken sausage. Worst of all, for a woman who prides herself on being able to cater to guests with all sorts of allergies and aversions (the woman we were joined by had a laundry list of food allergies, which were actually sensitivities, that were linked to migraines), served us perfectly luscious strawberries that were unnecessarily drowned in aspartame impregnated yogurt. Of course, because I have an embarrassingly high intake of diet coke, I cannot complain about being poisoned by artificial sweetener, but I can say lime "light and lively" does not a five star breakfast make.

After retrieving our things (they have an 11 o'clock checkout, which is early B&B standards) we ventured back down to the bay where we took pictures and pondered our next move. The one that would lead us to the enchanted city of Snugatuck, which I will tell you all about in my next blog. I can almost feel your virtual interest waiting, and I am compelled to retire to the bedroom where I will snuggle in bed next to my husband and watch "Bride Wars". It's a good life.

Good night all!

Love, Jude-y Rooney

No comments:

Post a Comment